Disability Services

Mohave Community College is dedicated to bringing a quality education to all people. The Disability Services program offers many services to individuals who have documented disabilities. We look forward to helping you achieve your education goals. MCC serves as a connecting link between students with disabilities and the college by providing information and referral services. MCC does not provide eyeglasses, hearing aids or personal attendants.

Federal Law Regarding People with Disabilities – Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 – “No otherwise qualified handicapped* individual in the United States…shall, solely by reason of his handicap, be excluded from the participation in, be denied benefits of, nor be subjected to discrimination under any program activity receiving federal financial assistance.”

*Handicap/handicapped is the wording used in the law that was passed in 1973. Disability/disabled are the terms that are used today.

Americans with Disability Act – ADA is a comprehensive Civil Rights Act protecting the rights of people with disabilities. The ADA prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in the areas of private employment, public accommodations and services, transportation, and telecommunications. The Americans with Disabilities Act also prohibits discrimination against a qualified individual with a disability with regard to admission to educational institutions or vocational training programs (public or private); job application procedures; hiring, advancement or discharge of employees; employee compensation; job training; and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.

The information being provided is strictly a courtesy. When you select any of the links, you might be leaving this site. MCC makes no representation as to the completeness or accuracy of information provided at these sites. Nor is MCC liable for any consequences arising out of your use of third-party information made available through these links.

Disability Eligibility

Eligibility Statement: Mohave Community College is dedicated to ensuring compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Section 504 prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities by those who receive federal funds. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliments Section 504. The ADA is a Civil Rights Act protecting the rights of people with disabilities.

The ADA defines disability as: A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities. Examples of major life activities are: walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, thinking, concentrating, reading, learning, breathing, standing, etc.

An individual who meets the qualifications as a person with a disability cannot be discriminated against on the basis of that disability. MCC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals in order for the qualified individual to have equal opportunity in all facilities, programs and activities at Mohave Community College.

Eligibility Requirements

A student who wants an accommodation based on a disability must:

  • Have a disability covered by the law
  • Be qualified with or without a reasonable accommodation
  • Identify himself/herself as having a covered disability
  • Request an accommodation

Qualified students with disabilities are not entitled to accommodations if they have not self-identified, have not provided appropriate documentation and have not requested accommodations.

In order to receive accommodations, a student must provide appropriate documentation of his/her disability to MCC Disability Services. That includes a diagnosis by a certified professional, as well as a description of the limitations that are a result of that diagnosis.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do students with disabilities have to request accommodations?

No, students with disabilities are not required to inform the college that they have a disability or request accommodations. MCC Disability Services recommends that students who feel they may need accommodations but are not sure, request them as soon as possible. If a student doesn’t request accommodations until mid-semester, the accommodations are not retroactive to the beginning of the semester.

Does MCC Disability Services provide assistance for students such as personal assistants, transportation to, from and around campus, eyeglasses, hearing aids, etc.?

No. Colleges are not required to provide assistance to students for daily living. Services and devices of a personal nature are needed to function on a daily basis and would be needed by the individual, whether or not they were in college.

How are instructors informed of a student’s request for accommodations?

Once a student has provided appropriate documentation to MCC Disability Services and has registered for classes, and met with an Academic Advisor to request accommodations that are appropriate based on their documentation and courses. An accommodation request form will be generated and signed by the student and Disability Services. Copies of this form will be sent to all the student’s instructors, in strict confidentiality. New accommodation requests must be developed and signed each semester a student is registered for classes, in order for that student to receive accommodations.

How much time is needed to put an accommodation in place?

MCC Disability Services helps students develop accommodations on an individual, case-by-case basis. The accommodations are based on the provided documentation and the classes a student is registered in. Some accommodations may take up to 6 weeks to facilitate (especially sign-language interpreters, or very specialized equipment) so the earlier requests are made for accommodation, the better. If a student requests an accommodation that the college is unable to provide, the college may substitute another appropriate accommodation.

If a student has requested accommodations do they have to use them?

No. If a student is doing fine without using the accommodations, they do not have to take advantage of the requested accommodations. It is recommended to have them in place in case the accommodations are needed later in the course.

If a student received special education services in high school, will they automatically receive accommodations in college?

Students must first provide appropriate disability documentation to MCC Disability Services. The appropriate accommodations will be developed based on the provided documentation. Students will not always receive the same accommodations in college that they received in high school. Colleges do not have to provide accommodations that change the requirements of a course or program or impose an undue financial or administrative burden to the college. Also, different colleges may provide different accommodations.

Who is eligible to receive accommodations and services as a person with a disability at the college?

An individual must meet the admission requirements, or be a current student at MCC. The individual must provide MCC Disability Services with documentation from a certified professional that states the diagnosis and limitations of the individual before any accommodations or services can be accessed.

Who is responsible for making sure that accommodations are implemented?

It is the student’s responsibility to make sure the accommodations they requested are being implemented. Students should speak with their instructors regarding their accommodations and needs. Students are also responsible for giving their instructor the “Out-of-Class” Testing form prior to a test, and for scheduling a time to take the test in the campus Testing Center. Students are also responsible for obtaining and returning equipment borrowed for accommodations from MCC Disability Services.

Why are accommodations provided at college?

Accommodations are designed to provide all students with equal access to college programs, courses and activities. Accommodations are not a guarantee of success, they are in place to provide equal opportunity for success.

Will Mohave Community College pay for a diagnostic evaluation from a certified professional?

No. Colleges are not required to pay for diagnostic evaluations to help you document your disability. Students are responsible for providing the appropriate documentation of a disability in order to receive accommodations.

Does a student with a service animal have to submit documentation?

Students with service animals are not required to register with disability services or submit documentation for the service animal.  However, students are encouraged to complete the disability services process for increased communication, organization, and review of services. The submission of documentation may assist the College in determining further accommodation services for which the individual may be eligible for and can improve the organization of modifications in classrooms that may be necessary. 


How to Request Accommodations?

  1. Meet with an Academic Advisor to complete an application and intake for disability services.
  2. Submit documentation from a medical, educational or psychological professional to Student Services or the Compliance Office.
  3. Check MCC student email for Accommodation Request Forms (ARFs).
  4. Once ARFs are received, review, sign, and return the forms to the Compliance Office.

Upon receiving a student’s signed Accommodation Request Forms (ARFs), the Compliance Office will forward the forms to the appropriate instructor(s). Changes to course schedule should be forwarded to the Compliance Office.

In order for a student to receive accommodations, accommodation forms must be reviewed and signed by the student and the Compliance Office every semester.

Mohave Community College does not provide personal assistants, eyeglasses, hearing aids, other devices of a personal nature, nor transportation.