If this is your first time filing the FAFSA, or if you’ve had difficulty filing it in the past, use the “7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA” tutorial that walks you through the process and points you along the path to success.
Or, follow these simple steps:
- Obtain or request a Duplicate Federal Student Aid Personal Identification Number (FSA ID) for you and the parent who will sign your FAFSA:
- Gather 2015 tax returns, W2’s and other income information for yourself, your spouse or your parents.
- Login to the FAFSA website using your ID.
- Read each question carefully and answer truthfully.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, if eligible, to import your 2015 tax return information for you, your spouse or parents into your FAFSA. If you haven’t filed your taxes yet, you can go back into the online FAFSA and use the tool to make corrections.
- Income questions may seem tricky – be sure to read the instructions for guidance, line numbers on tax returns, etc.
- Be sure to enter MCC’s School Code: 011864.
- Submit the FAFSA online after completing all questions and signing electronically using your ID.
- Watch your email for confirmation that your FAFSA was submitted, and for your Student Aid Report.
- Your Student Aid Report contains key information about your FAFSA. Be sure to read through it, make any recommended corrections, and review your Federal Pell Grant Lifetime Usage and Federal Direct Loan borrowing history.
- Contact Student Services at 866.664.2832 if you have questions about your FAFSA, recommended corrections, a rejected FAFSA, or other issues.