MCC offers three different education degree programs, Early Childhood Education, Secondary Education, and Elementary Education. View more information on each program below.

Request more information

Teacher reading a book to her kindergarten class

Early Childhood Education

The Associate of Arts with an emphasis in Early Childhood Education is designed for those interested in becoming preschool and kindergarten teachers or childcare providers working with newborn children through age 5 in center-based programs in the state and federally-funded programs (e.g. Head Start). 

Head Start has mandated that teachers in federally-funded childcare centers and schools, hold a bachelor’s degree and state of Arizona teaching certification in Early Childhood Education or an Early Childhood Education endorsement to an existing certification. MCC offers the first two years of the bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education. 

What does Early Childhood Education mean?

Early childhood education focuses on children birth to age 8. Future teachers learn how to develop curriculum and learning experiences that are appropriate for young children, while always responding to the changing needs of children, families and society. Teachers may be licensed to teach the early childhood grades, usually preschool through grade three, and may use their license to teach in childcare facilities such as Head Start or private childcare centers.

Teacher with students in the background

Secondary Education

The Associate of Arts degree with an emphasis in Secondary Education is intended for students who plan to teach grades 6 through 12 in a specific content area. 

Most states require high school teachers to complete a major area of study such as biology, business, English, math, music, social studies, etc. In preparation for transfer to the university, MCC students enroll in courses that transfer to the state universities and support their major area of study. Students are urged to contact an advisor from the four-year program at the institution to which they plan to transfer. That advisor can offer recommendations for courses and provide a list of program requirements.

Student will also enroll in EDU 205 – Introduction to Education and EDU 222 – The Exceptional Student. These are the education foundation courses that introduce students to the profession of teaching and satisfy two of the course requirements for Arizona teacher certification.

Elementary school boy raising hand

Elementary Education

The Associate of Arts degree with an emphasis in Elementary Education provides the foundation coursework for future teachers in elementary education.

Students intending to transfer to a four-year baccalaureate program are urged to contact an advisor at the transfer institution for content area recommendations and their education program requirements. Review a list of partner institutions or see the Transfer Options section of the MCC catalog, or go to the Academic Advising page on this website.

MCC is dedicated to lifelong learning. If you are just graduating from high school, embarking upon a new career, or are working as a seasoned professional – MCC has education opportunities to fit your schedule and needs.


Frequently Asked Questions

Do all states require licensing?

According to the National Education Association, “Licensure is a mandatory process whereby individuals interested in practicing the teaching profession must meet predetermined state qualifications.” Teacher licensing in the 50 states is administered through various state organizations such as state departments of education or professional state standards boards. The majority of states now have standards for certification that are comparable to the Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (INTASC) standards. A licensure candidate will need to meet the specific academic and teaching requirements for the state where they are interested in living and teaching.

Do I have to be fingerprinted to become a teacher?

In order to work in a public school, a candidate must be fingerprinted and pass a background check.

Do I need a Bachelor’s degree to become a teacher?

Yes, in order to teach in the K-12 U.S. schools, teachers need to have a Bachelor’s degree with the appropriate teacher preparation course work and content emphasis area course work for the elementary teaching license. Those teaching in U.S. high schools need a Bachelor’s degree with a content major or usually 40 hours. In some states, a fifth year of college coursework is required and in other states, a Master’s degree is required.

What kind of salaries can a teacher expect?

The amount a teacher earns in the United States depends on education level, experience, and the school/district/state, since there is no uniform salary schedule. Salaries for the average beginning teacher in the U.S. continue to lag behind their peers in comparable professions. The average beginning teacher’s salary was estimated to be $34,935 for the 2010-2011 school year.

Printer friendly page