Missions, Values, Purpose
The MCC Student Success Center's mission is to create an environment that fosters academic, personal and professional success. The program will help students develop the learning strategies necessary to reach their academic potential and will teach students how to apply these skills in college and in life.
In addition, the MCC Student Success Center will partner with MCC faculty and staff to empower students to assume responsibility for their education, to be self-motivated and successful in their chosen field of study, and to function as a productive member of society.
Goals of Tutoring
- Provide solid foundation of effective study habits
- Assist students in learning strategies that will help them with every facet of their lives
- Facilitate peer group tutoring sessions to promote learning community cohorts
How Tutoring Works
- Students may request tutoring services, or be referred by an instructor or student support services advisors. Requests may be made in person at the Student Success Center or online through the Starfish link in ANGEL. Requests may also be made by calling the Student Success Center on each campus.
- Tutoring appointments will be set at each center as needed in half-hour or one-hour time schedules. Peer tutoring is encouraged and one-on-one sessions may be scheduled.
- The first visit will be with a Lead Tutor and Tutor, to review available services and sign a contract.
- Students are expected to keep their appointments or to call and cancel at least 24 hours in advance.
- Students must bring completed homework, syllabus, text, assignments, handouts and preferably a list of questions.
- Currently-registered MCC students are eligible for FREE services.