Information for Online Courses
Welcome to Online Learning at Mohave Community College
This information is provided to you in order to answer frequently asked questions regarding online courses and requirements. Use the checklist below to help you become acquainted with MCC online courses. More detailed information follows this checklist.
|Checklist for Online Courses|
| ||Online courses are offered through Schoology, our online learning management system. A free Schoology Tutorial is available. Go to: https://support.schoology.com. |
| ||Every online credit course requires a textbook. Instructors assign textbook readings and activities during the first week of classes, http://mohave.bncollege.com|
| ||You will have access to your courses at 8am (AZ Time) on the start date. Check your class schedule for further information. Access your online courses through the myMohave Portal.|
| ||Carefully read your course syllabus and print it. Contact your instructor immediately with any questions and concerns about your course, syllabus or assignments.|
| ||All online courses require some type of word processing program. See Microsoft Office Requirements below for more information.|
| ||Be sure your computer is ready for online technology. Check out the Hardware/Software Requirements page for details.|
| ||Have a “Plan B” if your computer crashes. Computers are available in the campus libraries, and most public libraries in your area.|
| ||Access your student MCC email account through myMohave Portal. Make sure your student information is always up to date.|
| ||Any questions regarding advising or course challenges, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.|
| ||If you are unable to log in to myMohave Portal or Schoology, contact the MCC Help Desk at email@example.com or 866.664.2832.|
To help ensure your success in online courses, read all of the following:
- Online courses are offered through Schoology, our learning management system.
- You are strongly encouraged to complete the Schoology Training videos. To access, go to: https://support.schoology.com , follow the link. You do not have to log in to take the Schoology Training Videos.
- Every online course requires a textbook. Purchase your textbooks immediately. Go to the bookstore's page at: http://mohave.bncollege.com for more information. Caution: Many online courses require textbooks that come bundled with software. It is sometimes best to order directly from an MCC Bookstore.
- Instructors assign textbook readings and activities during the first week of classes. If you are unable to obtain a textbook during the first week of courses, you are not prepared to take an online course. You are advised to drop the course.
- Electronic editions of most textbooks can be rented or purchased.
Start Dates and Times for Courses
- You will have access to your course at 8am (AZ time) on the start date.
- MCC offers 15-week, 12-week, 8-week and 5-week courses. Not all courses start on the same date! Refer to your student schedule.
- Within the first week of an online course, all students must take a syllabus quiz and complete all first week assignments. Check the course syllabus for more details.
- Complete and submit all assignments on time. Late work may not be accepted. Ask questions early and often.
- Some online courses are offered on specific days and times through Bb Collaborate (Elluminate) video conferencing.
- Read your course syllabus and print it. It can be considered a contract between you and your instructor. You are responsible for knowing all of its contents. Your syllabus lists the details about the course: when assignments are due, how assignments are to be turned in, penalties for late assignments, instructor contact information, etc.
- If you have questions or concerns regarding assignments or your syllabus, contact your instructor immediately. They are here to help. Check your syllabus for contact information.
- After 90 minutes of inactivity, you will be automatically logged off of Schoology. Note: Typing is not recognized by the Schoology software as activity.
- Depending on your computer's operating system, Schoology is compatible with the four major browsers - Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Apple Safari.
- Because of constant browser updates, please be prepared and flexible to switch browsers if technical glitches arise.
- Tutoring is available through your online course. Check the Smarthinking section for more information.
Accessing Your Online Courses
- Access your courses frequently, preferably every day.
- To access your online courses, go through the myMohave Portal.
- Select the Schoology icon. You may need to reenter your myMohave user name and password again.
- If you are unable to access Schoology through the Portal, go directly to the Schoology website, https://myclasses.mohave.edu and use the same username and password as the portal.
- Always log off Schoology when you are finished. The log off button is located in Schoology on the left side of the screen and looks like a power button symbol.
Microsoft Office Requirements
- The use of 'freeware' such as Open Office or LibreOffice is acceptable in all courses EXCEPT Microsoft Office courses (which are generally CIS courses). Technical support for Open Office and LibreOffice can be found on the product websites.
- Acceptable written assignment submission formats include .doc, .docx, .rtf or .odt. CIS courses may require specific formats.
- Microsoft Office courses currently require access to MS Office 2010. (NOTE: Beginning Spring 2014, CIS courses will be using Office 2013, which is only compatible with Windows 7 & 8 operating systems)
Back Up & “Plan B”
- Be sure to back up all the work you do. Consider using a flash drive (jump drive, thumb drive, etc.) or an external hard drive. Back up your files frequently! This includes keeping a copy outside of Schoology all course submissions.
- Have a “Plan B” in case your computer crashes. Have another computer chosen ahead of time to do your course work if your regular computer crashes. What is your plan if your own computer does not work?
- Campus Computer Labs: If you live within driving distance of an MCC campus (Kingman, Bullhead City, Lake Havasu City and Colorado City), there are computers available to you in each campus library. Call the library for hours. Another alternative can be the public library.
Update Your Information
- It is very important that you keep your student information current (name, address, phone number, etc.).
- Contact Enrollment Services/Registration for the Student Information Update form.
- If you have any questions about a course (assignments, grading, deadlines, etc.), contact your instructor.
- If you have computer and log in problems, contact the Help Desk at 866.664.2832 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have other questions, contact Extended Campus via email at email@example.com or call MCC Connect at 866.664.2832.