IRS Data Retrieval Tool Tips
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) allows you, your spouse or parents to import data from your tax returns directly into the FAFSA.
- If you did not use the DRT when you initially filed your FAFSA because you had not yet filed our taxes:
- Wait at least 2 weeks from the date you electronically filed your 2013 taxes
- Log into the FAFSA website using your PIN
- Follow the instructions in the video to retrieve your tax information
- Note: The DRT may not be available to you, your spouse or parents if any of the following apply:
- If you filed an amended federal tax return for 2013
- If you did not file a federal tax return for 2013
- If your 2013 federal tax filing status is married filing separately
- If you filed both a federal tax return and a foreign return
If you do not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to provide tax information and your college requests a copy of your tax return or your parents’ or spouses’ tax return, you may be required to obtain an official tax transcript from the IRS. To order tax transcripts, go to Order a Return or Account Transcript at http://www.IRS.gov.