Nursing Program FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I apply to the Nursing program before my prerequisites are finished?

    There is no harm in applying to the Nursing program while the prerequisites are in process. However, no candidate is considered until prerequisites are completed.

  • Can I take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) more than once?

    The Nurse Entrance Test can be taken 3 times during the year from August 1 to August 1 but each time it is retaken, it must be one month from the last time. Other entrance exams may not be substituted for the Nurse Entrance Test.

  • Do I need to verify that all of my references are complete?

    It is a good idea to check up on the completeness of your application file so you can assure all information is correct and up to date.

  • How long does the Nursing program take?

    The Nursing program can be accomplished in two years once admitted. Often because our students have the need to work, they do not enter the program until all co-requisites are completed and only the Nursing courses are left. Hence, the time to complete is considered by many to be longer than two years.

  • How many days per week do I have to set aside for class and clinical experience?

    The Nursing program consists of four semesters once admitted. Nursing I is first semester; Nursing II is second semester; and so forth.

    Read More
  • If I am from another state, do I have to pay out of state tuition?

    The Mohave Community College catalog states that a person is not entitled to classification as an in-state student until the person is domiciled in Arizona for one year, or must meet one of the following requirements relative to the Nursing program:

    • Person's parent's domicile is in Arizona the parent is entitled to claim the person as an exemption for state and federal tax purposes.
    • Person is an employee of an employer that transferred the person to this state for employment purposes or the person is spouse of such an employee.
    • Person's spouse has established domicile in Arizona for at least one year and demonstrated intent and financial independence and is entitled to claim the student as an exemption for state and federal tax purposes or the person's spouse was temporarily out of state for educational purposes, but maintained a domicile in Arizona.
    • The domicile of an unemancipated person is that of the person's parent.
    • Any unemancipated person who remains in Arizona when person's parent, moves from Arizona.
    • Members or their spouses of armed forces of the United States stationed in this Arizona.
    • Members of Indian tribes whose reservation land lies in Arizona.

    Further details are available in the Mohave Community College catalog or Enrollment Services on any campus site.

  • Is there a waiting list for the Nursing program?

    In each admission cycle all active applicants are considered as a new pool of applicants. There is not a waiting list of guaranteed admission to the program.

  • What if I have a felony conviction or other police records in my past?

    If convicted of a felony, the Arizona Nurse Practice Act (December, 2009) states, "If convicted of one or more felonies, the applicant must have received an absolute discharge from the sentences for all felony convictions five or more years prior to the date of filing the application." Therefore, the student should contact the Arizona State Board of Nursing  regarding eligibility to write the NCLEX for licensure prior to application to MCC's Nursing program. Students must also be able to obtain a background clearance card from the Department of Public Safety as part of the admissions process.

  • Will I have to travel to other campus sites for class and clinical?

    Yes, travel is involved in attending lectures in all core nursing courses. For Nursing I, the Kingman and Lake Havasu City residents are considered a cohort. Nursing I lecture for this group is in Lake Havasu and the nursing laboratory experience during the first six weeks of the course is in Kingman. Following the laboratory experience, every effort is made to schedule students for the clinical experience in their own town of residence.

    Read More
  • Will my previous credits be accepted?

    Official transcripts should be sent to the Nursing Administration Office as soon as possible. You should also remember to have new official transcripts sent if you have recently completed courses elsewhere and you have an application active with our Nursing program. A copy of the transcripts is maintained in your application file and the originals are sent to the Registrar's Office for evaluation. Credit award is the Registrar's decision. Remember that sciences over ten years old will not be accepted for transfer.